August 15, 2007

One sided Letters to the Editor: Halifax Chronicle Herald

About a year ago, I was shocked to read an article in the Halifax Chronicle Herald extolling the virtue of General George Armstrong Custer’s ! I had thought we had all, long ago, Native and Non-Native, been re-educated by the real facts surrounding Custer. Custer was NOT a hero - he was a blood thirsty murderer.

I attempted to track down this article - This the best I have right now -A link to Daniel Paul's article BATTLE OF LITTLE BIG HORN where he speaks about this article printed by Halifax Chronicle Herald on June 25, 2006.

I have become very concerned with the 1 sided opinions concerning Native issues that have been printed in this paper. Here are just a few of the latest . Be sure to also to see Peter Duffy's article of July 1, 2007 on this hyperlink. - Grandmother Moon

Letter to the Editor
One law for all
Halifax Herald Aug 1, 2007

I cannot believe that a bill in Parliament did not pass that would make Canadian human rights laws applicable to the First Nations. I was surprised that First Nations were exempt to start with, and now they do not want the law passed because they do not have the money to comply and want extra money in the bill.

First Nations complain bitterly and force the rest of Canadians to pay if they think their rights were infringed upon, but they will not provide equal rights to their own people. Very hypocritical.

As for more money, the budget for Indian Affairs, I think, was over $3 billion this year and I do not think this includes all the land claim settlements recently announced. Canadians provide more than enough.

First Nations should be treated like the Canadian citizens they are. They should be subject to the same laws, taxes, human rights, rules and regulations as the rest of us. They should be required to move to where there are jobs, instead of living on subsistence and taking advantage of it. While I agree that, in the distant past, First Nations were not treated with respect, it is past time today’s Canadians should continue paying for these mistakes.

Natives themselves have not taken advantage of the education Canada has provided, priority job placements, or been willing to find work in another part of the country. I am a fourth generation Albertan who moved to Nova Scotia for work while many Atlantic Canadians have moved West, following job opportunities.

The First Nations populace has also not been willing to challenge elders to fight the corruption, inequalities and favouritism that plagues the reservation system.

Canada is facing a labour shortage, which could be eased if the First Nations had worked at the education we provided, to gain knowledge and skills for today’s workforces, so that of today’s 1.5 million First Nations descendants, not so many would be below the poverty line.

It is time for First Nations to stop asking from Canada and start asking more from themselves. Then they will earn respect from the rest of Canada.

Rob Woods, Georgefield


Huge pile of cash
Halifax Herald Voice of the People August 12, 2007 Letters to the Editor

Rob Woods of Georgefield wrote an excellent letter published Aug. 1 concerning First Nations, but his estimate of our annual federal "aboriginal" spending was low by some $6 billion. The figure is more like $9 billion, which admittedly includes departmental overhead to the tune of about $4 billion, according to the Assembly of First Nations.

Even so, that’s one huge pile of money to receive on an annual basis, in addition to tax-free living. Something doesn’t add up. Others seem to make it in this country with less.

Roland Burton, Sherbrooke


Misguided remark Voice of the People August 12, 2007 Letters to the Editor

My family and I were visitors at Fort Anne in Annapolis Royal, recently. While walking around the site, with my son wearing an eagle feather in his Mohegan hairstyle, a tour guide approached us. Seeing that we were a native family, the first thing he asked us was: "What reservation are you from?"

I have never been so downgraded in my whole life. I have never, nor will I ever, live on a reservation! How is it that the majority of people assume that all aboriginal people live on reservations?

I was telling my family the history of Fort Anne and the guide approached us and interrupted our space and our peace. It ruined our whole outing when this man asked me that question. He could have plainly asked, "Where are you from?"

There are a lot of aboriginal people who do not live on a reservation, so it should not be assumed that we all do. I grew up like that all my life (for at least 50 of my 57 years) with people asking what reservation I live on, and my kids are growing up hearing the same thing.

It’s a sad world we live in. I am fed up; the government needs to change its policies and get rid of reservations and let our people live in peace.

Beaver Landry, Wilmot

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well I am not holding my breath waiting for the Halifax Chronicle Herald to print any of my letters to the editor so I will post it here.

Dear Beaver Laundry:

I read your letter to the editor titled Misguided Remark printed on August 12, 2007 and it wounds my soul that you have so little regard for your brothers and sisters who live on reservations. It is true there are many problems on reserves BUT for many, the rez is home - it is family.

How selfish of you to wish the reserations to just disappear, just because you "have never, nor will ever, live on a reservation". Perhaps you are not status or your band does not have land to call their own.

I am status but my band has no land to call their own - it was illegally sold out from under us by the federal government.

I never grew up on a reservation either but I respect those who have.

You have shamed yourself and your Native brothers and sister by stating that you "have never been so downgraded in [your] whole life" when others assumed you lived on a reserve.

Yes it is wrong for people to assume that all First Nations People live on reserves. It is also wrong that many people in this province are ignorant of the fact that there are Native peoples of all First Nations and Inuit cultures, not just Mi'kmaq, living here in the Atlantic provinces.

But do not use the ignorance of Non-Native peoples as an excuse to downgrade your own people in the sight of others.

Let's work together, to build each other up and then together we can educate Non-Natives about the wondrous diversity of our peoples both on and off reserves.

Linda Youngson